A celebration marking the 130th anniversary of the Salvation Army will be held in Petersfield on Saturday, June 11.
The Petersfield Corps of the Salvation Army “opened fire” in Petersfield on June 24, 1886, being Corps 822 in the British Isles, when, according to a newspaper report of that time, “several Hallelujah lassies, a Commissioner and others in red guernseys opened the corps.”
The Corps began under the command of Captain Coad and Lieutenant Whittaker.
It was not long before the Corps was presented with a drum, though its enthusiastic beating was a cause of annoyance to nearby residents. After just one year there were 200 soldiers, friends and converts who celebrated this first milestone.
The Salvation Army periodical The War Cry, dated August 14, 1886, wrote: “The Salvation Army entered Petersfield about a month ago. War is raging, but victory is on our side. Hallelujah! Since the opening souls have turned from their sins to serve the true and living God, and although only young on the way they are going in heart and soul to get their companions saved. On Thursday, Major Rees and Staff-Captain Complin were with us; also Happy Thomas, from Salisbury. The power of God was felt. One soul came to Jesus. On Sunday the lord filled us afresh with fire and zeal to seek and save the lost. Praise God, six came to the Saviour.”
A Picnic and Proms of Praise 130th Anniversary Celebration will be taking place at The Petersfield School on Saturday, June 11 from 12-4.30pm. Everyone in the community is invited to join in, and the cost will be £5 per family (up to two adults and three children), and all are invited to bring a picnic and enjoy an afternoon of fun, food, music and praise.
Music will be provided throughout the afternoon by Solent Fellowship Brass Band, Herne Junior School, and solo performers, and there will be a children’s tent of activities, as well as many charity stalls with goods for sale, and other stalls and items of interest.
The Salvation Army, Swan Street, Petersfield